Thursday, December 16, 2004

Estes Pledge Dispute

Estes Park, Colorado is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, about 20 miles from my home. It is a mountain town that shares it's parks and lakes with elk, deer and other wildlife.
But, Estes Park has become a battleground over the Pledge of Allegiance.
During town council meetings, Trustee David Habecker refuses to say the pledge or, even stand for it. I respect Mr. Habecker's right not to say the pledge but, he should respect others and stand while they do. I do, however, defend his actions as I would any form of free speech.
Now, the problem is another trustee named Lori Jeffrey-Clark makes this idiotic statement:

"I said it's his constitutional right, but there are consequences," said Jeffrey-Clark, who voted for Habecker and sat next to him at meetings for four years.

So, in Estes Park, exerting your constitutional rights brings consequences. Consequences, I might add, from right-wingnut scum.
Mr. Habecker is facing a recall and from what I can gather from the many people I know there...he doesn't have much to worry about. Not as much as Lori Jeffrey-Clark.


Estes pledge dispute

Trustee refuses to say oath, faces recall vote

By Deborah Frazier, Rocky Mountain News
December 8, 2004

Estes Park Trustee David Habecker may lose his seat in a recall for sitting silently during the Pledge of Allegiance.

Habecker, a former president of the Lion's Club and a town trustee for 12 years, said he objects to the words under God. More>>>

1 Comments:

At 12/24/2004 1:53 AM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

Why do you suppose the republiscum changed the Pledge in the first place?? Do you know?? I doubt it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home