Sunday, January 30, 2005

A Father's View on Womens' Right to Choose.

I, personally, try to avoid the debate on abortion rights but now, I think it is necessary that I chime in this one time to give my perspective. I have always been a pro-choice proponent but, there was a time in my life I had to fight against it. I felt it was my right and obligation to do so. Afterall, I am the father.

I am a father. A single father. My daughter is 8 years-old and she is the apple of my eye. Nothing in the universe is more important to me than my daughter. This is the basis of my life; raising my daughter in a liberal atmosphere, with liberal trust and liberal values. Strict routine is important, too. My adamant approach to a superior education is one of my top priorities.

The time with my daughter's mother was a rocky one, I admit. When she became pregnant I felt an urgency to smooth things over to make this time in her life easier. It didn't work. I worked too much, was away from home too much, etc., etc.. At about the sixth month of pregnancy my daughter's mother informed me of her intent to abort. I would have none of it.

At six months I felt that too much time had elapsed and that my rights as a father should be intact afterall, this was not a six day-old fetus. I hired a lawyer and immediately obtained an injunction to keep mother from obtaining an abortion. Little did I know, my daughter would be born 6 weeks premature but, not until after I had created a significant legal wave in the fathers rights movement. Although I didn't set a precedent I did, however, impress upon a district court judge that fathers have rights also at some time in a pregnancy if he so desires. The judge thanked me for the insight I had on this subject and promised to take any matters concerning fathers into a broader legal realm.

So, what is my point? I read an opinion piece by a pro-choice mother that inspired me to brainstorm my opinion. I agree with her opinion but, at some point in an unborn child's life I believe the rights of the father must be considered. Biology determines which of us are male and female and from the biological standpoint women carry the developing fetus. In my case, the abortion was being used as a threat and a way of causing me extreme psychological pain. I proved that. I also proved a revenge mentality of the mother that sealed the success of my case.

I will always be pro-choice but not pro-abortion. This ideology is common to most, if not all, of the free-thinkers on the left. I would never interfere with the right to choose but, I will defend my rights as a father. Afterall, can't I at some point during gestation claim an obligation to the unborn child? Afterall, I am half the reason it exists.

I am the father.

8 Comments:

At 1/31/2005 6:28 AM , Blogger Michael Moore-on said...

Surprising viewpoint to be displayed here. I will take any argumenmt that keeps a baby from being sucked into a sink though...

 
At 1/31/2005 8:06 AM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

Your right-wing ideals have you stereotyping the left-wingers. I would like any rightie to give me the name of just one lefty politician who is pro-abortion....with sources of course.

Pro-choice is far from pro-abortion.

 
At 1/31/2005 8:14 AM , Blogger Michael Moore-on said...

Ah, semantics...you're famous for them. At risk of starting the great debate, Being "pro-choice" (how PC) can mean your against abortion? Only in your world. Can I be "pro-choice" for the death penalty and social security as well?

 
At 1/31/2005 8:26 AM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

I never said I was against abortion. I said I am not pro-abortion but, the right to choose is far more important.
The last thing a womsn needs is a perverted republican dictating what she has to do with her own body.
Your side is defined as hypocritical by your pro-life/pro-death viewpoints. They are hypocritical.
Either you are or you're not.

 
At 1/31/2005 10:59 AM , Blogger Michael Moore-on said...

C'mon Lib, that's the cowards way out. Very uncharacteristic. No points for you.

 
At 1/31/2005 12:09 PM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

Hardly the coward's way out. I just can't be a hypocrite. If I could I would be a republican, too.

 
At 1/31/2005 8:06 PM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

Thanks Kynd,
Just looking at an option to decrease abortion but, the wingers are in the way....as usual. I wish they understood the issue a little better.

 
At 2/13/2005 8:35 PM , Blogger Ol Cranky said...

I actually think the majority of those who think the man should have no involvement in the decision making process are either very young with a limited worldview (i.e., immature) or extreme feminists.
Last December I got into a huge debate with a young woman who thought it was ridiculous that I (as a woman) would say that ideally the father should be involved in decisions regarding pregnancy. While, ultimately, the woman is the final arbiter if there's a difference of opinion (base solely on biology). The "it's my body and none of his business" attitude is extremely unhealthy. Men are affected by these decisions (even when they agree with termination, men do have feelings); I would never be so callous to say a man isn't hurt when his partner miscarries or there's a stillbirth, so how can you sumarily dismiss the feelings of all men regardless of the situation?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home