Sunday, March 20, 2005

Invisible Women

Summary:

It’s things like this that make me tear out my hair when people wonder why women are underrepresented….” There are actually lots of women political bloggers out there, spend half an hour reading them and you will never again say women aren’t as argumentative as men! But what makes a blog visible is links, and male bloggers tend not to link to women…
[Posted By gaanjah_mama]


An article in one of the better publications I subscribe to, The Nation, addresses the issue of women in journalism and the reasons they may be underrepresented. I specifically want to address the remark above made by gaanjah_mama.

First, relative to Liberal Patriots and myself, I am the only male contributor on this blog. Sorry, gaanjah_mama, I just don't actively prowl the blogosphere looking for gender-based blogs. I look for blogs that are interesting...our links cover a variety of gender, racial, sexual, political (with the exception of right-wing), social, environmental and international bloggers. Rarely do I read the profile of a blogger before I link to them. It doesn't matter who they are, where they live, how they live, what they eat or don't eat, etc. The main criteria is that the links on this blog (and there will be more as time goes on) share in the same concerns and issues. Heck, they don't even have to agree 100% with us or us with them. The point is...we have a common goal of defending America against the right-wing republican corruption and all the derogatory issues that always come with their rule.

I can only speak for myself, gaanjah_mama, and I have this to say: I will not categorize blogs (think entropy) by any of the aforementioned criteria. It is not important to do so. What is important is to read the blogs, understand where the blogger is coming from on issues and seek alternative means of approaching issues that appeal to you.

And gaanjah_mama, because of my familiarity with the blogs we have linked and without checking profiles I know of at least 24 blogs that are owned by women or that, have women contributors. And in about 3 minutes I am adding the link to another woman's blog who, happens to be a consistent poster and has just started her own blog (she also happens to be a very intelligent 18 year-old woman).

So rest assured gaanjah_mama, Liberal Patriots only disqualifying factor is right-wing links.

4 Comments:

At 3/20/2005 9:59 PM , Blogger Mr. Natural said...

IF I could figure out HOW TO MAKE A LINKS PLACE ON THE SIDE, I certainly would link to women bloggers...

 
At 3/21/2005 4:09 PM , Blogger halcyon67 said...

Progressive,
Thanks for the support for female bloggers, and also thank you for your kind words. I am the fabulous 18 year old Progressive Patriot is referring to. Or at least I hope I am. Thank you, thank you. :) I konw tons of females who are smart. They don't have blogs though. Esp. my one friend, I will call her Saoirse. She is brilliant.

Hey Joe, it is easy.

Click the blogger icon in the top left hand corner, click on template, there you will see your HTML code, scroll down til you see the thing that says GOOGLE NEWS. There is where you edit your links. Just follow the example, google news and go from there.

Sorry I used this comment for an instructional how to.

 
At 3/21/2005 7:02 PM , Blogger Union Patriot said...

Hi Samanthat,

Yes it was you I was referring to....

I get into it with gaanjah_mama sometimes but, we are good friends.

 
At 3/22/2005 2:55 PM , Blogger halcyon67 said...

Thanks Progressive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home